Psychology for Digital Behavior Change [DBC1]
2-Day Essential Psychology Workshop (1 of 2)
Master the essential lessons in digital psychology
Over two days, discover how to harness digital psychology to build online products that are more motivating, usable, and persuasive. This workshop covers the foundational principles in digital psychology, key tools, and over 40 principles, with a focus on psychology-driven technologies and campaigns.
Based on behavioral science but presented in plain language with clear visual examples, you’ll enjoy training that combines educational modules with live group polling, scenario-based learning games, discussions and hands-on exercises, all designed to reinforce your understanding and help you develop new skills, that are both practical and results-focused.
Our training will inspire you with new ideas, deepen your understanding of digital psychology, and help you develop new skills in human-centered design.
This is our most popular workshop and the starting point that we recommend for most people who are new to digital psychology.
Skills and knowledge you’ll gain
By the end of this workshop, you’ll be able to:
- Boost user acquisition, engagement, conversion, and retention
- Integrate psychological strategies into websites, social media, ads, and apps
- Critically assess your existing technologies and make them more engaging
- Reverse engineer your competitors’ success factors—then outflank them
- Better justify your design choices when speaking to colleagues or clients
- Save time and money by using scientific principles to speed up projects
- Make better decisions when facing design or marketing dilemmas
- Avoid “psychological backfires”, where psychology accidently damages your work
- Understand the basic triggers that influence user emotion, motivation, and behavior
- Build wireframes and mocks from psychology rather than generic elements
Over 2 days, we’ll cover:
- Persuasive psychology & digital media
- Setting realistic expectations for online influence
- Science of persuasive design & optimization (made easy)
- Auditing psychological architectures
- Source credibility 1: digital source psychology
- Source credibility 2: influence factors
- The core elements of audience influence
- Visual factors in UX and persuasion
- Cognitive impacts, comprehensions, and schemas
- Motivating emotions and neuroscience
- Decision support and behavioral economics
- Trust, risk, security, and credibility
- Navigational systems, UX, and efficacy
- Training users with behaviorism
- Managing dropout, attrition, and disinterest
- Media impacts on digital persuasion
- Social psychology & environmental factors
- Psychological audits of websites and mobile apps
- Building psychological wireframes and mocks
- Using psychology in conversion rate optimization
Behavioral science made easy and practical
What you learn is all based on hard science, but we’ve tailored the content to working professionals who need to get to the point and learn what works, fast. We present the science in clear, jargon-free language, using case studies, examples, and practical exercises that are accessible and easy to pick up, learn, and apply.
Obtain exclusive resources
Your training kit includes our proprietary design resources that will help you use psychology to build new technologies, audit your existing products, and reverse-engineer what drives success in your industry. You’ll receive:
- Training Guide
- Reference Manual
- Oversized Wireframes
- Oversized Screen Shots
After completing all modules, covering 13 hours of instruction over 2 days, you will receive a certificate of completion.
Learn more about your certification options.
Who this workshop is for
This workshop is for digital professionals who want guidance on science-based design and industry-best practices. It’s ideally suited to:
- Usability and UI/UX professionals
- Graphic designers and interactive designers
- Digital marketing and advertising specialists
- Content strategists and web writers
- Product marketing managers
- Digital project managers
- Health promotion specialists
- Conversion optimizers & researchers
The professionals you’ll meet at our workshop
Our training attracts an eclectic blend of professionals from a wide range of sectors. We’ve designed the content to be relevant to those working across a broad range of organizations, including:
- Technology firms, Cloud services
- Digital agencies, Creative firms
- Non-profit organizations
- Government, Health sector
- Retail businesses, Consulting services
- Financial services, Insurance
- Media, Gaming, Entertainment
- Telecommunications, Infrastructure
- Small businesses, Freelancers, Students
- Academia, Behavioral science, Psychology
This is our most popular workshop and the one we recommend as a starting point for most people who want to learn how to apply digital psychology. This workshop is suitable for those who use digital media across a range of applications, from tactical hands-on builders to strategic planners.
Timing and logistics
The workshop runs 9:00 am – 5:00 pm (but please arrive by 8:50 as we start at 9:00 sharp). There is a 15-minute break in the morning, an hour for lunch, and another 15-minute break in the afternoon.
We’ll provide all the training materials, so you’ll only need to bring a pen, some paper, and, if you’d like to participate in our live polling, bring a smartphone or tablet. We’ll provide Wi-Fi.
Brian Cugelman, PhD (your instructor)
Have a question?
Check out our FAQ or give me a shout. I'm happy to help out.
With an extensive career running online projects and studies for industry, non-profit organizations, governments, and the United Nations, Dr. Brian Cugelman has been working as an online behavior change specialist since 1997.
In 2006, Brian launched AlterSpark, with a focus on merging behavioral science with creative design and data science. Over the years, Brian has helped numerous companies and institutions measure and improve their online campaigns for greater understanding and measurable results.
Early on in his career, Brian was honored when the United Nations General Assembly recognized the outcome of his digital campaigning work. He has also acted as an expert advisor for the World Anti-Doping Agency, the Heart and Stroke Foundation, and the annual International Conference on Persuasive Technology.
High-level government officials from both the United States and Canada have invited Brian to educate their personnel. Pentagon officials invited Brian to present his research for their Cyber Influence Project and then cited his research in their strategy to counter online extremism. Government of Canada officials invited Brian to train their team and to run an educational session to a packed house of digital media professionals and behavioral scientists across federal agencies.
Brian obtained his PhD in Online Social Marketing with the Statistical Cybermetrics Research Group, a world-leading Internet research team specializing in large-scale online data science. He has published over 25 papers and studies for the United Nations, global institutions, and scientific peer-reviewed journals.
While completing his doctorate, Brian developed the scientific basis for his behavior change system, which he subsequently published in the world’s top scientific e-health journal and then later adapted to a format that working professionals could quickly learn and apply.
Brian conducts workshops across North America, training individuals and teams—including those from the world’s top companies and brands and from the highest levels of government. Check out his partial list of clients and testimonials on AlterSpark.com to see who has attended his training, as well as what they had to say about it.
Brian’s philosophy is to make his training accessible to students and researchers, regularly donating scholarships to people who use technology to build a better world. Brian welcomes professionals from all disciplines, from beginners to some of the world’s leading behavior change specialists, and especially those who are using technology to build a better planet.
Brian has trained teams at these companies:
To see our training packages, early bird rates, and group promotions, visit our tuition fee page.
Get this course for only $266.3/day on a 3-day Foundations Package or $249.8/day on a 5-day Complete Package.
Registration in Eventbrite
The green registration buttons take you to Eventbrite, where you can order your ticket. After registering, you'll receive your ticket and all the logistical details.
Paperwork or complex procurement
Need a formal invoice or any paperwork to keep your bureaucracy happy? Get in touch with us and we'll help you out.
Waitlist for sold-out classes
If you can't order tickets because the workshop has sold-out, join the waitlist in Eventbrite. We have a flexible cancellation policy, so there's always a chance that space will open up.
Have any questions?
Call: +1 (888) 977-2055
Next Early Bird Deadline for Toronto (15% off) Sep 21, 2018
100% Satisfaction guarantee
We’re so confident you’ll love our workshop that we’re offering a 100% refund to anyone who wishes to withdraw. To qualify, simply return all your training materials and notify your instructor by the start of lunch on the first day. That’s pretty much it.
Learn about upcoming courses