Scholarships for Social Change
Digital Psychology Workshop
Our popular workshops on digital psychology grew out of scientific research on using technology to promote individual-level and societal-level behavior change in the areas of health, safety, environmental protection, and social development.
To build a successful training academy, we have had to focus our attention on training professionals from larger institutions, leaving a gap in our ability to support change agents working for organizations with limited training budgets.
To ensure that our workshops on digital psychology contribute towards positive social change, we are giving away several complementary scholarship for our upcoming workshops. These will go to change makers who are using digital media for social good.
If you wish to apply for one of our scholarships and attend a workshop free of charge, please ensure you meet the qualification criteria and complete the application form.
Our upcoming workshops
Our scholarships cover our upcoming workshops, including:
- Emotion & Motivation for Digital Behavior Change [E2]
- Psychology for Digital Behavior Change [P2] (1 of 2)
- Psychological Architectures of Digital Behavior Change [A1] (2 of 2)
Meet our scholarship alumni
Our scholarship alumni have been using technology for public health, childhood education, malnutrition, volunteering, disabilities, gender equality, environmental protection, social development, and various research topics. Read about their work here:
Criteria 1. Contribute to one of these impact areas
Inclusion criteria: You must make the case that this workshop is relevant to your field of study or work, and has the potential to help you make a greater impact on the world, via technology, within our four impact areas:
- Social development
- Environmental protection
- Public health
- Public safety
Exclusion criteria: Non-qualifying impact areas include work to propagate ideological views serving partisan interest groups, including political parties, spiritual organizations, or any advocacy that includes the dissemination of ideologies which include inequality, intolerance, unhealthy lifestyles, or anti-environmental policies.
Criteria 2. Primarily use interactive technology to support change
Inclusion criteria: You must be using digital media or technology as a tool to support your change-making work. Qualifying digital media includes anything via the web, such as websites, social media, mobile apps, wearable tech, and just about anything that constitutes interactive technology.
Exclusion criteria: Non-qualifying uses of interactive technologies include work that is primarily aimed at marketing or selling products or services for profit.
Criteria 3. Meet our 4 organizational criteria
Inclusion criteria: You must be associated with one of the following qualifying organization, and apply with an email address from that organization:
- Non-profit organization: You must be associated with an organization that is officially registered as non-profit organization
- Students: You must be officially registered with an accredited University, at the Masters level or higher.
- Social enterprise: You must be B-Corp certified.
- Member of CSI: If you don’t fit any of these categories, but you are a member of the Center for Social Innovation in Toronto or New York City, your organization will automatically qualify.
Exclusion criteria: Non-qualifying organizations include businesses, commercial enterprises, and some borderline cases such as the corporate philanthropy departments within corporations.
To increase your chances of winning, please follow our scholarship rules:
- Applications received after the application deadline will not be considered, so make sure you don’t miss the deadline.
- Each person can only apply for this scholarship once per training season (i.e. once from Sep to Dec, and again from Feb to May). Duplicate entries will be disqualified. However, applying for contests/giveaways that we might be running with our partners in your city is allowed and encouraged!
- Applicants cannot apply for the same workshop twice, but may apply for workshops they have not previously won a scholarship for.
- Each application must be original and cannot include standard text that was copied and shared by a team. Each member of a team can apply, provided they author an original application. We want to know that you’re truly motivated.
- You must use your institutional email address, and it must match the website of the institution you are applying on behalf of. We cannot accept applications from generic email addresses, such as Gmail, Hotmail, etc…
- Tickets are non-transferable and cannot be sold. Any ticket that is discovered to be transferred or sold will be disqualified.
- Any applications that is discovered to contain false information may be disqualified at any time. The next runner up will receive the scholarship.
- In the event that we need to postpone or change the workshop date, the winner will have the option to take the next training date or attend any alternative location in the future.
- By applying, you authorize AlterSpark to list your name, institution, digital media work, and how your work is contributing to a better world.
What if I already have a ticket
If you have already purchased a ticket, you can still apply. We believe that it’s counter productive to offer competing incentives. For this reason, we don’t want to stop anyone from taking advantage of our early bird deal in the hopes of winning a ticket. So if you buy a ticket, but also win a scholarship, we’ll give the option of taking a full refund any time.
How our selection process works
Our selection criteria is simple: we want to see that you are passionate about this subject, and that this workshop will improve your ability to positively shape the world.
- We will randomly draw one person per workshop
- Next, we’ll assess the selected candidate to ensure they match our qualification criteria
- If they pass our qualification criteria, they’ll win the ticket. But if not, the next runner up will be evaluated till a winner is found
- Finally, we’ll send the winner an access code to claim their scholarship ticket
To apply, complete our online application form, by the deadline at 11:59 on 21 Oct 2016. You’ll have to select on of the following workshops to apply for.
|Toronto – Psychology for Digital Behavior Change [P2+A1] (both workshops included)||Nov 7-9, 2016|
|Vancouver – Emotion & Motivation for Digital Behavior Change [N1]||Nov 14, 2016|
|Seattle – Emotion & Motivation for Digital Behavior Change [N1]||Nov 16, 2016|
|San Francisco *||see below|
|Palo Alto – Emotion & Motivation for Digital Behavior Change [N1]||Nov 21, 2016|
|Los Angeles – Emotion & Motivation for Digital Behavior Change [N1]
(By special request from LAUX, we’ve extended the Los Angeles scholarship deadline to Oct 28th)
|Nov 28, 2016|
*We’ve had to cancel our San Francisco workshop, so we’ll give any prior San Fransciso applicants a space in our Palo Alto workshop, or in any upcoming workshop.