Psychology for Digital Behavior Change [DBC]
Classroom training (3 days) • Online training with LIVE tutorials (3 weeks)
Master digital psychology & behavioral design
Learn how to apply psychology to digital products that are more motivating, usable and engaging.
This course will teach you the skills and knowledge required to build psychology-inspired websites, apps and digital campaigns.
We cover 50+ behavioral change principles, psychological design patterns and a step-by-step behavioral design process that you can bring back to the office and apply immediately.
The class includes examples from many fields and industries, but you’re invited to bring a challenge of your choosing so you can focus on applications specific to your work.
Our training will inspire you with new ideas, deepen your understanding of digital psychology and help you develop new skills in human-centered design.
We recommend this course as the starting point for most participants.
Skills and knowledge you’ll gain
By the end of this workshop, you’ll be able to:
Master behavioral design
To help you internalize the content, we’ve structured the course around a behavioral design process. We’ll take you through a step-by-step process, leading to a digital psychology-inspired product of your choosing. This will reinforce the lessons and ensure that you can translate psychology into digital practice.
You’ll develop skills in the overall process, which will touch hands-on skills in psychology-inspired software modelling, UX, information architecture, marketing, branding, and content strategy.
We’ve structured the design process across our two classes. DBC takes you through the process, ending with a testable lo-fi prototype. If you take EDP as well, you’ll extend your protype, and fine-tune it.
The classroom design process is intermixed with the lessons, while the online class design process happens during the LIVE tutorials.
If there’s a challenge you’re working on, bring it to class.
In class or online, we’ll cover:
- Persuasive psychology & digital media
- Setting realistic expectations for online influence
- Science of persuasive design & optimization (made easy)
- Auditing psychological architectures
- Source credibility 1: digital source psychology
- Source credibility 2: influence factors
- The core elements of audience influence
- Visual factors in UX and persuasion
- Cognitive impacts, comprehensions and schemas
- Motivating emotions and neuroscience
- Decision support and behavioral economics
- Trust, risk, security and credibility
- Navigational systems, UX, and efficacy
- Training users with behaviorism
- Managing dropout, attrition and disinterest
- Media impacts on digital persuasion
- Social psychology & environmental factors
- Psychological audits of websites and mobile apps
- Building psychological wireframes and mocks
- Using psychology in conversion rate optimization
- How to combine psychological principles
- Building psychological architectures
- Landing page psychology
- Motivation and efficacy design patterns
- Solo and social selling patterns
- Ways of capturing user feedback
- Feedback-based psychological principles
- Goals, feedback, coaching and gamification
- Reinforcing and shaping user behavior
- Audience journey mapping and funnel design
- Building multi-channel engagement sequences
|Duration||3 days||On-demand with 3-weeks LIVE-tutorials|
9:00–17:00 with 1 hour lunch and two 15 min breaks
Self-paced, but consider completing 5 hours of video per week during the LIVE term (yes, it’s a pressure tactic to keep you on track)
19.5 hours, based on 6.5 hours of instruction per day
19.5 hours based on 15 hours of video with three 1.5 hour live tutorials
The workshop runs 9:00 am – 5:00 pm (but please arrive by 8:50 as we start at 9:00 sharp). There is a 15-minute break in the morning, an hour for lunch, and another 15-minute break in the afternoon.
We’ll provide all the training materials, so you’ll only need to bring a pen, some paper, and, if you’d like to participate in our live polling, bring a smartphone or tablet.
We’ll grant you immediate access to the videos as soon as you register, plus access to the waiting room for the upcoming LIVE tutorials.
You’ll have access to the lessons, and then we’ll start the behavioral design process during the LIVE training term.
Classroom training kit
- Training guide
- Reference manual
- Behavioral design workbook
- Wireframe kit
Online training resources
- On-demand video lessons
- LIVE tutorial recordings
- Wireframe kit (mini)
- Behavioral design workbook
- Closed community
This is our most popular class and the one we recommend as a starting point for most people who want to learn how to apply digital psychology.
This class is suitable for those who use digital media across a range of applications, from tactical hands-on builders to strategic planners.
After completing all modules, covering 19.5 hours of instruction over 3 days in class, or 3 weeks online, you will receive a certificate of completion.
If you wish to take the optional certification test to earn a “Digital Behavior Change Certificate (DBCC)”, this will also put you on track to earn the “Digital Behavioral Design Certificate (DBDC)”.
Learn about your certification options.
Who this course is for
This class is suitable for:
- Usability and UI/UX professionals
- Graphic designers and interactive designers
- Digital marketing and advertising specialists
- Content strategists and web writers
- Product marketing managers
- Digital project managers
- Health promotion specialists
- Conversion optimizers & researchers
Industries that will benefit
Our training attracts an eclectic blend of professionals from:
- Technology firms, cloud services
- Digital agencies, creative firms
- Non-profit organizations
- Government, health sector
- Retail businesses, consulting services
- Financial services, insurance
- Media, gaming, entertainment
- Telecommunications, infrastructure
- Small businesses, freelancers, students
- Academia, behavioral science, psychology
How students describe our training
Brian’s workshop was great! Very informative and I look forward to any other workshops that will be coming up.
Excellent content. Applicable everywhere. Thank you.
Great workshop! … We will start implementing some of the ideas in our projects.
Meet your instructor
Brian Cugelman, PhD
With an extensive career running online projects and studies for industry, non-profit organizations, governments and the United Nations, Dr. Brian Cugelman has been working as an online behavior change specialist since 1997.
SAVE 10–15% with promo codes
We offer promo codes for academics (10%), non-profits (10%), students (15%) and groups of 3 or more (15%). Yes, you can add promo codes to the early bird rates. To claim your promo code, email [email protected]
Have any questions?
Email: [email protected]
Call: +1 (888) 977-2055
The green registration buttons take you to Eventbrite, where you can order your ticket. After registering, you’ll receive your ticket and all the logistical details.
When you register for e-learning, you’ll be taken to our educational portal to obtain your courses.
Sold-out classes and waitlists
Our classroom courses sometimes sell out. If you can’t get tickets because of a sellout, join the Eventbrite waitlist.
100% Satisfaction guarantee – classroom
We’re so confident you’ll love our workshop that we’re offering a 100% refund to anyone who wishes to withdraw. To qualify, simply return all your training materials and notify your instructor by the start of lunch on the first day. That’s pretty much it.
100% Satisfaction guarantee – online
We’re confident that you’ll love our online training, that we’re offering a 48-hour window for you to receive a 100% refund if our online training does not meet your expectations. See our guarantee for details.
We’re proud to attract participants
from world leading companies.
But we’re more proud to help countless students, beginners, and pros from regular organizations.
Terms, and conditions
All our workshops are subject to AlterSpark’s Guarantees, Terms and Conditions. Please ensure that you read these before signing up.