Emotional Design Psychology & Neuroscience [EDP]
2-Day Design Psychology & Neuroscience
Deepen your understanding of what shapes user emotion and behavior
Over two days, discover how to build emotionally intelligent websites, apps, content, and campaigns based on the psychology and neuroscience of user emotion, motivation, cognition, and behavior.
You’ll develop new skills in building technologies that inspire, motivate, and win customer loyalty. You’ll also learn how to pre-empt your users’ emotional reactions, so you can defuse negative situations before they explode, while upgrading your users' experiences from good to great.
Our training will transform your understanding of what emotions are and how they work, while you learn practical strategies on how to target specific emotions. Plus, we’ll provide you with templates, strategy frameworks, research tools, and techniques that you can take back to the office, and apply immediately.
This workshop is for intermediate-to-advanced level digital media practitioners who are looking for deeper insight into the factors that shape user and consumer behavior. If you’re starting out, you’ll probably benefit by first taking workshop DBC1 and possibly DBC2. If you're not sure, see our FAQ or get in touch.
Skills and knowledge you’ll gain
By the end of this workshop, you’ll be able to:
- Understand the full spectrum of user emotions
- Build emotionally intelligent technologies and campaigns
- Predict users’ cognitive disposition and emotional needs
- Craft messages that make users feel good while shaping their behavior
- Evoke healthy motivating stress while avoiding frustration or anxiety
- Defuse potentially negative user emotions before they explode
- Understand what drains your users’ attention, energy, and willpower
- Conduct user research to optimize emotional impact
- Build wireframes and mocks from psychology and neuroscience
- Know which emotions to target to achieve different outcomes
- Predict how people will react to various types of photos and images
- Design personalities for humanlike AI bots and conversational interfaces
- Build technologies that your users love
Over 2 days, we’ll cover:
- Intro to emotional design
- Emotional drivers of online behavior
- The Emotion–Behavior Model
- Sense perception and digital triggers
- Mapping the full spectrum of emotions
- The emotional quadrants that motivate behavior
- How to measure emotional reactions to design
- Shaping user habits with incentive systems
- Reducing emotional, cognitive, and physical barriers
- Reverse-engineering emotional strategies
- Emotion-driven wireframing
- Designing for different personalities
- Relating with computers and conversational AI bots
- Defense mechanisms against manipulation
- Emotional design strategies for behavior change
- Neurotransmitters, core emotions, and interactive design
- Shaping behavior and engineering empathetic content
- External conversion metrics vs. your internal compass
Join 1,600+ pros from:
Behavioral science made easy and practical
What you learn is all based on hard science, but we’ve tailored the content to working professionals who need to get to the point and learn what works, fast. We present the science in clear, jargon-free language, using case studies, examples, and practical exercises that are accessible and easy to pick up, learn, and apply.
Obtain exclusive resources
YYour training kit includes our proprietary design resources that will help you develop emotional design strategies, site audits, research studies, and wireframes. You’ll receive:
- Training Guide
- Reference Manual
- Oversized Wireframes
Who this workshop is for
This workshop is for digital professionals who want guidance on science-based design and industry-best practices. It’s ideally suited to:
- Usability and UI/UX professionals
- Graphic designers and interactive designers
- Digital marketing and advertising specialists
- Content strategists and web writers
- Product marketing managers
- Digital project managers
- Health promotion specialists
- Conversion optimizers & researchers
The professionals you’ll meet at our workshop
Our training attracts an eclectic blend of professionals from a wide range of sectors. We’ve designed the content to be relevant to those working across a broad range of organizations, including:
- Technology firms, Cloud services
- Digital agencies, Creative firms
- Non-profit organizations
- Government, Health sector
- Retail businesses, Consulting services
- Financial services, Insurance
- Media, Gaming, Entertainment
- Telecommunications, Infrastructure
- Small businesses, Freelancers, Students
- Academia, Behavioral science, Psychology
Make sure this workshop is right for you
If you’re interested in gaining a deep understanding of emotions and how they shape user behavior, then this workshop is for you.
You can take workshop ED on its own or as a complement to workshops DBC1 + DBC2 as they draw on different areas of science and take a different approach to digital behavior change.
The goal of this workshop is to deepen your understanding of what shapes user/consumer behavior from within, rather than learning empirically validated external behavior change techniques, which is what we cover in workshops DBC1 + DBC2.
For this reason, we do not recommend this workshop for beginners, or people who are interested in learning foundational digital psychology. These groups will benefit more by taking workshops DBC1 and DBC2 prior to taking ED.
Timing and logistics
The workshop runs 9:00 am – 5:00 pm (but please arrive by 8:50 as we start at 9:00 sharp). There is a 15-minute break in the morning, an hour for lunch, and another 15-minute break in the afternoon.
We’ll provide all the training materials, so you’ll only need to bring a pen, some paper, and, if you’d like to participate in our live polling, bring a smartphone or tablet. We’ll provide Wi-Fi.
Meet your instructor
Brian Cugelman, PhD
With an extensive career running online projects and studies for industry, non-profit organizations, governments, and the United Nations, Dr. Brian Cugelman has been working as an online behavior change specialist since 1997.
To see our training packages, early bird rates, and group promotions, visit our tuition fee page.
Get this course for $249.8/day on a 5-day Complete Package.
Registration in Eventbrite
The green registration buttons take you to Eventbrite, where you can order your ticket. After registering, you'll receive your ticket and all the logistical details.
Registration for e-learning
When you register for e-learning, you'll be taken to our educational portal, to obtain your courses.
Waitlist for sold-out classes
If you can't order tickets because the workshop has sold-out, join the waitlist in Eventbrite. We have a flexible cancellation policy, so there's always a chance that space will open up.
Have any questions?
Call: +1 (888) 977-2055
100% Satisfaction guarantee
Terms, and conditions
Paperwork or red tape?
Promo codes (SAVE 10%-15%)
We offer promotional codes for groups, social purpose organizations, and students. Combine our promo codes with early bird fees to save from 25%-36%.
|Promo code||Percent off||Dollar Savings||Dollar Savings
Plus Early bird (+15%)
Plus Super early bird (+25%)
|Academic||10%||$35 - $125||$82 - $294||$113 - $406|
|Government||10%||$35 - $125||$82 - $294||$113 - $406|
|Non-profit organizations||10%||$35 - $125||$82 - $294||$113 - $406|
|AlterSpark Alumni||15%||$52 - $187||$97 - $347||$127 - $453|
|Students (with ID)||15%||$52 - $187||$97 - $347||$127 - $453|
|Group of 3 or more||15%||$52 - $187||$97 - $347||$127 - $453|
To claim your promotional code, just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use your organizational or university email address, tell us which code you qualify for, and specify the city where you’d like to attend.