Gamification Psychology for Education [GPE1]
Energize, motivate, and educate
Over 2-days, participants will learn the essentials of game-based design psychology with a focus on building higher-impact training and education programs.
The course fuses game psychology and education with a combination of user experience design principles, all focused on in-class and online applications.
As it’s a hands-on course, you will gain experience building educational games drawing on the most popular game design mechanics and design principles proven to boost a broad spectrum of learner outcomes.
You'll learn 5 game archetypes that you can adapt to any learning situation and start mastering game-based learning through a combination of educational modules, group exercises, and game design challenges.
Skills and knowledge you’ll gain:
By the end of this workshop, you’ll be able to:
- Design basic games for learning and behavioral change
- Integrate learning with game mechanics and evaluation of training
- Manage learning game design projects within budget
- Create effective simulations for game-based learning
- Apply what you’ve learned to classrooms and e-learning platforms
- Avoid superficial gamification formulas and integrate credible science
- Understanding game mechanics and themes
- Synchronizing learning with game mechanics
- Building effective simulations in games
- Creating life paths for educational simulations
- Using exploration, building, and simulation games
- Design games using timed burst hackathons
- Creating effective stories in games
- Linking student evaluation to game design
- Applying game design to e-learning and LMS
Gamification science made intuitive and practical
What you learn is all based on hard science, but we’ve tailored the content for working professionals who need to get to the point and learn what works, fast. We present the science in clear, jargon-free language using case studies, examples, and practical exercises that are accessible and easy to pick up, learn and apply.
Obtain exclusive resources
Participants will receive our suite of exclusive game design resources, including our training guide, game design toolkit and workbook.
What is gamification?
Gamification is the use of game design principles for non-entertainment applications. Gamification is a broad term under which you’ll find the concepts of serious games and educational games. Serious games are used for behavioral change, while educational games, or game-based education, is used for training and education.
Game-based education has been proven to increase learners’ motivation and ability to acquire new skills, while also covering greater breadth and depth.
Beyond the educational benefits, it’s fun and creates a more pleasurable experience for both students and educators alike.
Gamification has been proven to boost the return on investment in training and is a $17 billion dollar global industry expected to exceed $20 billion 2023.
How this course will help you
Whether you are targeting students, colleagues, users or any other group, this course will help you:
- Increase learners’ interest, attention, and focus
- Motivate, energize, and engage learners
- Develop judgement, problem solving, and decision-making skills
- Build collaborative learning teams
- Apply targeted burst and micro learning
- Make routine learning and activities fun
- Building and running game-based educational exercises
- Gamify traditional learning management systems (LMS)
- Avoid learning fatigue by energizing students
- Improve learner retention and learning outcomes
- Use active learning to improve the applications of knowledge
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you will learn how to:
- Integrate game design with curriculum design
- Apply principles from game design psychology and neuroscience
- Construct effective teaching simulations
- Use competition without discouraging non-competitive learners
- Integrate narrative and themes into learning
- Build socially connected learning environments
- Use exploration, achievement, and social connectedness
- Measure and track learning outcomes using game systems
- Reach learners of all ages through compelling learning activities
- Create spontaneous learning opportunities using game psychology
- Generate just-in-time learning solutions based on game feedback
- Learn to build and apply simulation-based learning
Who should take this course?
- Teachers and Trainers
- Instructional designers & learning technologists
- Chief learning officers, organizational development and HR specialists
- Managers and team leads
- Sales and marketing managers
- Game designers
The professionals you’ll meet at our workshop
Our training attracts an eclectic blend of professionals from a wide range of sectors. We’ve designed the content to be relevant to those working across a broad range of organizations, including:
- Government, Non-profit
- Colleges, Universities
- Highschool, Primary school
- Healthcare, Mental health services
This course is suitable for a wide range of educators and instructional designers, including seasoned professionals and those who are starting their career. We’ve designed the course to cover advanced topics while making the content accessible to participants at every level.
Read some of our gamification papers
Read some of Dr. Chandross’ and Dr. Cugelman’s writings on Gamification and education:
Meet your instructor
David Chandross, PhD
David Chandross holds masters degrees in both cognitive neuroscience and higher education and a doctorate in curriculum design. As one of the founders of the field of gamification he has not only developed numerous games for training in industry and universities, but also participated in broad research projects in this field.
If you'd like to learn more about your instructor, read Dr Chandross's bio.
To see our training packages, early bird rates, and group promotions, visit our tuition fee page.
Get this course for only $266.3/day on a 3-day Foundations Package or $249.8/day on a 5-day Complete Package.
Registration in Eventbrite
The green registration buttons take you to Eventbrite, where you can order your ticket. After registering, you'll receive your ticket and all the logistical details.
Registration for e-learning
When you register for e-learning, you'll be taken to our educational portal, to obtain your courses.
Waitlist for sold-out classes
If you can't order tickets because the workshop has sold-out, join the waitlist in Eventbrite. We have a flexible cancellation policy, so there's always a chance that space will open up.
Have any questions?
Call: +1 (888) 977-2055
100% Satisfaction guarantee
Terms, and conditions
Paperwork or red tape?
Super Early Bird Deadline - SAVE 25% by Jan 25, 2019